Thursday, September 8, 2011

WOMAN, GOD'S BEST GIFT TO MAN

Today is September 8th, the day on which the Catholic Church remembers the birth of Mary.
 
"Mary's is a birthday to remember because the answer to our sorrow, misery, malice, loneliness, inability, and strife is to be born of Mary. " -Father Peter John Cameron, O.P.           

I was dreaming this morning when I heard the voice of my husband, Dale, "Micki, will you wake up Julia?"  I immediately answered yes and got up, aware that my body was sore and tired and that my mind still had a wish to linger with those dreams. I heard the loud ringing of Julia's alarm clock coming from her room, and went to her bedside.  How could she sleep through that? I wondered.  Then I realized I hadn't heard Dale's alarm go off  this morning.  It was only his quiet voice I recognized as a wake up call.

Since I was in kindergarten my mother's gentle voice was the only sound that could separate me from sleep. "Micki, time to get up." I would quickly wake and get ready for the day. Sometimes as I got older she had to say my name a second time, a little louder, with a slight scolding tone. Then I was a bit ashamed that I gave her trouble, and hurried to obey.  Often when I was hurt I would go running to my mother, sobbing, and she'd open her arms and hold me and repeat  in a soothing voice, "It's alright!"  She rocked me until I was quieted. I wished I could do something in return for her loving comfort.  I tried hard to please her and not be a disappointment.

When I had babies, I was very tired and slept soundly,worrying if I would wake up if they needed me. I found, as most parents do, that they wake up immediately, ready to respond when their child stirs or calls.

When my third son Andy was four years old and visiting the dentist office waiting for an appointment, I told him about Mary, his Heavenly Mother.  He asked if it was really true, and I said, "Yes, she always cares for you."  He sat happily on the floor thinking about that. Five minutes later a man walked into the waiting room and my shy and quiet son, obviously overjoyed, ran up to the stranger, took his hand and welcomed him in, exclaiming, "I've got two moms! My name is Andy!" He introducded the suprised man to me, saying, "This is my second mom. My first mother is in Heaven."  That new assurance stayed with him all his life, and he's alway's loved me second best, saying he's grateful to me since I was his first teacher about love.   

     WOMAN, GOD'S BEST GIFT TO MAN
                                      by Henri Godin

     "A greater gift I could not give man. 
     And when I sent my Son on earth, he was not hard to please.
     No, he was not hard to please--either about food, or lodging,
           or state in life, or about anything, except his Mother.  But
           about her he was exacting.
     He wanted his mother to be a masterpiece, surpassing even my
           angels, who are already very great masterpieces.
     Yes, for her he was exacting--for the woman who was to bring
           him into the world and awaken his soul and form his heart.
     And men are like him.  Choosing a woman is always the great
           affair of their life.
     Which doesn't surprise me,"
     Says God.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying reading your inspiring posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently discovered you husband's blog which is how I found you. Life would be unbearable without the women in my life.

    Peace~Barney

    IronBearFitness

    ReplyDelete