Tuesday, September 6, 2011

EYES OF THE BEHOLDER

I spent a lot of time wishing I was pretty, and crying because people said I was ugly, and I believed them. I had very white skin (allergy to the sun so I could never tan but burned severly), hundreds of blotchy freckles that often came out green after sun exposure and gradually darkened. I had crooked teeth (no money for orthodontics), and straight hair always cut at home with crooked lines.  I was sensitive and emotional and clingy, trying to hug and show love, was outspoken and loud, usually in your face and pointing out uncomfortable truths.

My older brother Stewart thought it was fun to make me mad and tease me. He had nicknamed me Micki Icky. When I tried to tag along with my brothers and they wanted to get rid of me, they'd make fun of me until I went away crying. One summer day they told all the kids in the neighborhood that I was called Micki Icky because I had real "cooties." They said you could tell because, looking at my arms and face, you would see some green spots which I called freckles but were really the sign of cooties, that could be caught by being close to me. So when I came out to play that day all the kids began to shout, "Here comes Micki Icky! Run or she'll give you the cooties!" I ran away to my secret place under the branches of a weeping willow and threw myself onto the dusty ground. I sobbed and was so sad I wished I could die because no one would love me. Then I heard in my mind the words "I love you," and I felt loved and calmed. I answered back, in my mind, "Thank you, but I wish a person would love me."

When I was little I used to ask my Mom hopefully if I was pretty. She said no and that I was kind of homely looking. She said her family used to tell her that when she was little, and that she did't like it but it was the truth. And I looked a lot like her. I thought a lot about what people like in looks, and tried not to be superficial and to remember that it's what's inside that counts. I loved the story of Beauty and the Beast and decided that its moral was most correct: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

On the first day of second grade we all had to line up by class, and the black girl standing next to me, Sheila, looked scared and wouldn't get close. The teacher kept yelling at her to stand next to me. She bit my shoulder very hard and I screamed. Our teacher looked at the bleeding bruise and demanded to know why she did that. Sheila said, "Look at her. She's white with those ugly green and brown spots. I wanted to see if she was real!" We later became good friends.

It's how we are seen: If we're loved by someone we are beheld as beautiful. My husband, Dale, always said I was beautiful and I thought he was just being kind, but, as he reminds me, he doesn't flatter. He loves me and sees me the way God does!

I sometimes have grace-filled moments where I see all the people around me in perfection. That is such an awesome experience. It's like watching a movie with perfect casting, when I ask myself, "How did they find that person to play that part so well?!" Every person you see is an intriguing, mysterious, and unrepeatable. If you look at them the way they are meant to be seen, and appreciate the creation and Creator, a kind of universal bond allows you to realize that here is someone with an amazing story, who is valuable for themselves and somehow carrying a part of you.

I broke my tooth the other day and have a large gap--very humiliating! I look like the hillbilly stereotype. I wondered if Dale would still love me as much. Dale laughed at me and called me Lilith Snerd (Mortimer Snerd was Edgar Bergen's hillbilly puppet with missing teeth). He helps me laugh at myself. My kids see my beauty and cheer me on, especially when I'm putting myself down. Dear Julia, my fifteen year old, often tells me I'm beautiful, and she loves me so much! Now she says I  look younger, like a seven-year-old with a missing tooth!

3 comments:

  1. You seem always beautiful to me, Micki. The beautiful Belly Dancer lady! Remember when you were trying to teach me to belly dance? We each had a baby on a hip. You're a beautiful person and left me with some beautiful memories for sure! :) I fell and broke out some front teeth a few years ago. It took so long to be able to get them fixed. i sure remember what that was like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes great courage to share our innermost fears and doubts. Thank you. Today was our son, Preston's, first day back at school. He is in fifth grade now. Watching him interacting with the other boys I could see them maneuvering for position in the "pecking order". Preston is a handsome, intelligent boy with a great sense of humor. He has a wonderful singing voice (which I am always pushing him to share) and he is a pretty good athlete. But, I can see his insecurities when he is among the other boys. He is our only son and he was born with a genetic anomaly called ectodermal dysplasia. He is relatively mildly affected by it, but his left hand is somewhat deformed, missing the middle finger, and his right hand is normal except that he cannot straighten the middle finger. And yet he types 45 wpm, plays trumpet, baseball and basketball. I'm sure you understand, as a mother, that I love him more than my own life. If I could exchange my hands for his and take away his genetic "problem", I would do it without thinking. But, God has made him this way for a purpose, I'm sure. So, I just pray and love him and remember how grateful I am to have a son. I wish that I could convince him of something that I know to be true, that beauty, real God given beauty, comes from within. What our current culture puts forth as beauty really has a great deal of ugliness about it. I can only hope that Preston will see the difference and remember that God does not make mistakes. We just can't understand His reasons for the way things are. Thanks for your writing. You inspire me to get back to my own blog! Jim Mears

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micki,
    This is so incredibly sad! I can think of many words to describe you but 'ugly' is the least descriptive word anyone could ever use. You're brothers should be ashamed of themselves! The first time I met you, I thought, Wow, what a beautiful lady. I didn't see anything ugly about you. And the picture you used for this blog is simply adorable! I only see a beautiful little girl. I've met some ugly people in my life but you are surely not one of them...

    ReplyDelete